Brake Issue

Information about truck brake
Silverwolf

Brake Issue

Post by Silverwolf »

I had to drive on a forestry road today, it was very rough, I had to go dead slow. Went good on way in, on way out, I hit a big pot hole, going real slow, but it bounced big, then I stopped and heard the computer warning come on. Said check brake ecu at next stop. Checked for the code and its says L ATC Valve Electrical Fault, code MID 136 SID18 FMI6 . So Assuming a valve broke or lost power? Were would I find this valve, assuming the "L" Is left or drivers side, were is the ATC valve? I can see one wire going into hub area near adjuster, is valve inside hub, attached to that wire???
regulator

Re: Brake Issue

Post by regulator »

What kind of truck are we working with here?
Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf »

oops sorry. Its a 2006 Volvo VNL Single axle with traction control. Super 10. Also the Abs light is on as well. Assuming this ATC valve on the drivers front has failed from the jolt, probably a wire. Cant find the valve. The wire I mentioned is the speed sensor wire, so not it. I have an electrical drawing, but its a drawing not a location picture. Want to find valve and trace wires to find short or dead valve. Don't need ABS, but need it to pass inspections . And want it to stop bugging me every time I start the truck .
regulator

Post by regulator »

Hello. On an air brake system like yours it will have some air lines and wires going to it. It will either be mounted on the inner left frame rail or in the center of your forward cross member with the QR valve. That's about all I can tell you about a Volvo...sorry I can't be more help. I am just not familiar enough with them. Should have Bendix ATC valves though.
Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf »

Ok, Il have a look inside the frame rails etc. There is only one wire going to each brake, I assume that would be the speed sensor wire, also for the antilock brakes. Other than that , just air lines. Can't even find the Brake CPU to see if a plug came off on the bump.

I found a troubleshooting manual for the Bendix Anti lock system. Pretty comfusing though, but I'm working threw it. The system is simple, should be able to track down my electrical fault. Whats comfusing is they refer to the ATC valve, and the ABS valve as the same thing. Or it seems that way because they refer to one, then the other as if they do the same job. Also I need to determine if I have front ATC valves, as it says some times its integrated into the rear ATC/ABS valve assembly. I found that one easy, its huge and in plane view on the cross member in back. Need light out to see if I have front ones, or one, or integrated into back. Also, the manual has the codes, except they don't have my code. All of my code is there, except the FMI number Mine was 6, the manual only goes to 5. Thankfully my cpu tells me its the left atc electrical fault, because if it didn't I wouldn't be able to determine what the issue is since the manual is short one code.
Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf »

I have found , I think, the ATC Valves for the front. THey are just behind the trans, on a cross member. Similar set up as rear, except the ATC valves are separate from the PMV valves. Anyway , went to trace some wires and it corrected itself, light went out. Its now intermittent and related to getting wet. Freezing here so hard to work too long on it. Will get it wet tomorrow and see if it fails again, then I can find my break and splice in. Burrr, hands are frozen, wires are stiff.