2011 Prostar electrical issues

Information about truck electric
PaulH

2011 Prostar electrical issues

Post by PaulH »

I have a 2011 Prostar that intermittently will spike my voltage gauge and hold it there. If I turn it off and on a few times it will go back to normal voltage. I did have a shorted battery and replaced all 4 batteries. It was spiking before I replaced the batteries. Yesterday the windshield wipers stopped working and the dump valve lamp on the switch is blinking and wont work. I had it at the dealer but they only replaced the rotted battery tray and said it was probably the shorted battery. they had it for 1 month so I do not want to take it back there.
Help please....Alternator? Body Control Module?
Justrucking2

Re: 2011 Prostar electrical issues

Post by Justrucking2 »

Could be your alternator is failing, that is what mine did just before I replaced it. You need to be careful with this, as it can do serious damage to other sensors, cab controller and your engines ECM. I would at least have it tested, but odds are it is the alternator. Just my own personal experience.

It is more than likely a Leece Neville unit, but can be replaced with a similar AC Delco if need be. I would put another Leece unit on if it were me, been down this road before.
PaulH

Re: 2011 Prostar electrical issues

Post by PaulH »

Alternator is a constant voltage regardless of what the Gauge reads. But get this, I took the kick panel off on the driver side to check the body control unit and noticed forst of all that it was a recon, secondly the power cable that bolts to the top was never tightened down. the nut was loose, finger loose. I tightened it up and so ar so good. Now I just need the clutch safety switch replaced or modified to work all the time....