air brakes question

Information about truck brake
retire

air brakes question

Post by retire »

have a problem with air brakes in rear of an RV with 20,000 lb axel. left hand wheel was making an unusual sound when applying brakes. I chocked the wheels .had air pressure between 60 and 90 psi, released park brake marked the push rod with marker and my wife applied brakes while I measured the stroke. The problem wheel only had one in. stroke and other was just over 2 in. I also did the pry bar test per video instructions and both rods had 3/4 inch stroke. any ideas what is going on. We are from canada but in calif now and have to wait one week to get it checked would like to try something else in mean time.
Show less
C15Mike

Re: air brakes question

Post by C15Mike »

I'd say get both sides looked at. Unless they're long stroke pots (square ports where the airlines go) they only have 2.5 inches of stroke. If you're already over 2 inches you really don't have much left to compensate for drum expansion from heat.

Now typically auto slacks don't get tighter unless someone chopped the pushrod off too long. The opposite is also true. Cut it too short and they'll stroke further.